Nothing screams summer more than a cheeky pimms on a roof terrace – or even better, a Pina Colada on the beach.
Unfortunately alcohol isn’t exactly synonymous with healthy living, and if you’re working hard for a summer body, sugary cocktails can really get in the way.
This Pina Colada Protein Shake is a pretty nifty compromise (if I do say so myself) for if you’re craving the taste of sunshine and holidays but don’t want to neglect your detox.
Protein Pina Colada
- 1 small or half a large frozen banana
- 1 handful ice cubes
- 250 grams of fresh pineapple OR 250ml pineapple juice
- 250ml coconut water
- Dash of milk
- 1 Scoop banana flavour protein powder
Whizz it all up in a blender and decant into a cocktail glass or protein shaker as you please – umbrellas optional.
- Low in fat but rich in important nutrients like potassium and magnesium, coconut water makes a great smoothie base – particularly for anyone who isn’t so keen on drinking it ‘straight’.
- If you want an added boost of vitamins and minerals you can easily add some spinach or kale – just one small handful will let you get the benefits of the greens without overpowering the sweet nuttyness of the coconut or the tangy pineapple flavour.
- Feel free to swap the dash of milk with a spoonful of Greek Yoghurt for a thicker texture and a tarter taste
- Finally, if you’re not too into the whole protein supplements thing and would rather enjoy just a tasty healthy smoothie, the protein powder is by no means compulsory. I like it because it’s a great way to include more protein in my (vegetarian) diet.